Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Lee Filters Adapter Ring for the Fuji GF 23mm f4 WR Lens

One of the first lenses I purchased with my new Fuji GFX 50S camera was the Fujinon GF 23mm f4 WR lens.  This stunningly sharp wide-angle lens has an equivalent field of view to an 18mm lens on a 35mm camera, so it requires thin 82mm filters to avoid vignetting.

I use the Lee Filters 100mm filter system for most filtration duties, and I already had the Lee 82mm WA (wide angle) adapter ring, but as I had seen reported on Fuji Rumors, the standard 82mm WA filter ring would not thread onto this lens, despite having the correct filter thread size.  It turns out that the metal lugs on the front end of the lens, where the lens hood attaches, block the standard adapter ring before the threads can properly engage.

Lee Filters has recently released a special adapter ring for the GF 23mm lens, and I was able to track one down at Canadian distributor for Lee Filters.  They were not aware of the new dedicated filter ring, but after I contacted them they were able to source one for me.  I am pleased to report that the new ring fits perfectly on the lens.

Lee Filters Adapter Ring for Fuji GF 23mm (left) and standard 82mm WA Adpater (right)
I can also confirm that the Lee 105mm Landscape Polarizer does not vignette on the Fuji 23mm f4 lens, even when mounted in front of two slots on the Lee Filters 100mm holder.

Lee 105mm Landscape Polazrizer - no vignetting on the GF 23mm f4 lens at f/32, mounted on the front of a Lee two-slot 100mm series filter holder


The new Lee Filters Fuji GF 23mm adapter ring will be available at B&H Photo starting October 28, 2017.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Salish Sea Herring Spawn and Marine Mammals

On March 5 of this year, we braved the unseasonably cold weather and headed up to Comox, BC for a four-hour boat tour with Wild Waterways Ad...